Stikeman Elliott LLP is recognized, domestically and internationally, as one of Canada’s foremost advisors on the legal aspects of mergers and acquisitions. Our M&A clients range from multinational corporations (and their boards of directors) to private companies and family-owned businesses and regularly include strategic, private equity, sovereign wealth fund and state-owned enterprise buyers.
The firm has consistently been at the forefront of evolving practices in M&A transactions and has earned particular respect for its expertise in acting for both acquirers and target companies in hostile take-over situations and for its extensive experience with take-over bids, plans of arrangement, leveraged buy-outs and management buy-outs.
To better meet the needs of clients who are involved in either the purchase or the sale of a company or business unit, the M&A Group works closely with other practitioners throughout the firm to provide a full array of related services, such as private equity and venture capital, tax, competition, intellectual property, environmental, real estate, government relations, and employment and labour expertise. On this website, you will find many articles and postings written by or in collaboration with members of these Stikeman Elliott practice groups, each of which devotes a large part of its practice to working with the M&A group on domestic and cross-border transactions.
Our Unique Value
- Creativity and expertise – as indicated by our work on the most innovative and scrutinized M&A transactions in recent years
- Cross-border expertise – a wealth of experience in international transactions, with an understanding of the pulse of deal flow and managing regulatory scrutiny related to foreign investment
- Alignment to our clients’ interests and objectives – understanding your transactional objective to provide you with results, not pursuing matters of limited relevance or significance
- Leaner deal teams than competitors – translating directly into more responsive service, less time spent communicating amongst team members, and lower aggregate fees
- Market leadership – as indicated by our placement on independent league table rankings and our involvement in the leading Canadian M&A deals year after year
Stikeman Elliott has worked on a number of significant Canadian and cross-border transactions. To view the most recent, click here.
Recognition for Our Work
- Ranked Band 1 for M&A and Corporate-Commercial Law by Chambers Global and IFLR1000, and more lawyers ranked than any other firm in Best Lawyers and Lexpert
- #1 by volume of Canadian M&A (Bloomberg, Mergermarket and Thomson Reuters 2015)
- #1 Canadian firm by volume of deals worldwide (Thomson Reuters 2015)
- #1 Canadian firm by value and volume of deals for global announced M&A (Bloomberg 2015)
- #1 Canadian firm by value and volume of deals for US announced M&A (Bloomberg 2015)